Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to study abroad?
Students who are in good academic and disciplinary standing are eligible to study abroad. All study abroad programs will have a minimum 2.00 GPA requirement to be considered, so remember this when looking at different programs. Some programs will have additional eligibility requirements, such as previous study in a certain subject.

Are there programs where I will be required to speak another language?
Not necessarily. Winter Term programs are designed to support all students. Some semester programs may require prior knowledge of a foreign language, but many programs offer courses in English. If the native language in a student’s host country is not English, we strongly recommend that students take an introductory language course when they are abroad as it will encourage deeper cultural immersion and make day-to-day living easier.

When can I study abroad?
Study abroad programs are available during the fall and spring semesters, winter term, and during the summer as well. Check with your mentor to make sure you know when studying abroad fits best in your schedule.
What are the application deadlines?
Fall and Summer programs: March 15
Winter programs: May 30
Spring into Summer & Spring programs: June 28
Note: Affiliate partner programs may have a separate application deadline that differs from the Eckerd deadline. And, a few partner programs may have deadlines earlier than the Eckerd deadline. In those cases, students need to complete the application in time to meet the partner and Eckerd's deadlines.
Note: If students do not submit all required materials by Eckerd's deadline, approval to study abroad may be revoked.
When should I start planning?
Students should start planning early. Schedule an appointment to meet with the Office of Global Education to discuss interests, available program options, program requirements, and applicable deadlines. Students should also sit down with their mentor to discuss how studying abroad fits in their academic plan.

Will other Eckerd students be studying abroad with me?
Students participating on an Eckerd-sponsored program will participate with only other Eckerd students. If students select an affiliate program, they will study with other American students from around the country who have also chosen to study overseas.

What are the housing arrangements for study abroad?
The housing options vary widely depending on the program. Examples of housing arrangements include dormitories, apartment or independent living, or even living with a host family. Each option has their own benefits. You can review which housing options are available for each program within their individual brochures.  Host families can offer strong cultural engagement opportunities. Please make sure that you explore the right housing arrangement that works for you.

Do I need to be vaccinated in order to study abroad?
Vaccination rules and regulations will vary based on the country and the program. Some countries may require you to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, while other countries may require vaccinations for other diseases such as Malaria and Yellow Fever. Please consult the CDC and the affiliate provider for the most up-to-date information when it comes to vaccination requirements.

To get the most up-to-date information from the CDC on vaccinations requirements, click here

Can I go on a study abroad program that is not affiliated with Eckerd?
If students want to participate in a non-affiliated Eckerd study abroad program, they will need to take a leave of absence from Eckerd College. Scholarships and aid may not apply to these types of study abroad programs.

How competitive are Eckerd’s study abroad programs? How many students are accepted?
Eckerd's faculty-led study abroad programs can be quite competitive, so we encourage students to apply as soon as possible. The number of students accepted varies by program. 

What’s the difference between an Eckerd-sponsored program and an Affiliate Program?
Eckerd-sponsored programs are designed and led by Eckerd faculty and staff. These programs run for either a short-term (winter or summer), or a full semester. Affiliate programs are run by third-party providers that Eckerd partners with.

Do I have to apply through Eckerd to participate in an Affiliate Program? What is the deadline?
Yes! You must complete an Eckerd study abroad application by the application deadline (see deadlines above). You will also apply directly with the affiliate program partner as well. You must be accepted by both Eckerd and the affiliate partner in order to participate in the program.